Discover the magnificent Sicilian volcano and taste some local culinary delights
- Take in the breathtaking views of the Sicilian countryside and majestic natural landscapes from Taormina
- Let you guide by our expert guide on a thrilling trek up the volcano
- Experience awe-inspiring panoramic vistas of the surrounding area from the top of Europe’s most active volcano
- Climb towards the 7 craters formed during the 1865 eruption
- Catch a glimpse of Calabria and the island of Stromboli from the highest point on the route
EVERY DAY at 8.30 AM from Taormina, at 8:45 AM from Giardini Naxos
APRIL 1 to OCTOBER 31
Join us for an adventure like no other as we explore the natural wonder and beauty of Europe's highest active volcano. Discover the seven lateral craters of the 1865’s eruption, enjoy the climb with a professional volcanological guide, and gaze at marvelous panoramas!
Our half-day tour begins with a comfortable and scenic drive through the charming countryside surrounding Taormina. As we approach Mount Etna, the breathtaking views will take your breath away as you take in the stunning natural landscapes of the surrounding area. Upon arrival at the base of the volcano, you’ll meet our expert volcanological guide who will lead you on a thrilling trek up to the summit of the mountain, while providing an entertaining experience telling the history and geology of the area.
You'll have the opportunity to explore the various craters, caves, and lava formations that have been created throughout the volcano's rich history. The path you’ll be walking will cross some of the 7 craters located on the summit of the volcano that form the complex whose name is “la bottoniera” , so called because of their circular shape and their proximity to each other, giving the appearance of a button or a row of buttons. The seven craters were formed as a result of the explosive eruptions of 1865, which ejected a large amount of volcanic material into the air. As this material fell back to the ground, it accumulated and formed cone-shaped craters. What will surprise you about these craters will undoubtedly be their colorful nature, with bright yellow sulfur deposits visible in some of the craters!
As you make your way up the mountain, the terrain will become more challenging, but the rewards will be worth it. The panoramic views from the top of Mount Etna are truly awe-inspiring, and the fresh mountain air will invigorate you as you take in the stunning vistas. If it's sunny weather you’ll be able to see a panoramic view from Calabria to Taormina, and sometimes it’s possible to see Stromboli island too! Prepare your camera and take as many photos as possible to create lifetime memories!
Don’t forget to dress properly, keep in mind that it’s a trekking excursion, so it is recommended to wear good sports shoes, preferably hiking ones, but if you want to make your Etna hiking experience more comfortable, there is the possibility of renting additional equipment too.
- Personalized attention
- Professional English speaking trained guide
- Round-trip transportation from Taormina/Giardini Naxos by luxury A/C Mercedes Minivan or
- Free rental of equipment if needed (wind jacket/kway, walking sticks, helmet for cave visit)
- Guided easy hike on the volcano
- Guided visit of a volcanic cave
- Bottle of water
This tour departs from Taormina and from Giardini Naxos. Choose the departure point at the moment of booking.
Piazza S. Antonio Abate, 98039 Taormina, ME.
Viale Dionisio, 12, 98035 Giardini Naxos, ME.
Required: hiking shoes or good walking/sport shoes (no flip-flops!).
Strongly suggested hat and sunscreen.
We regret to inform that this tour is not suitable for guests with wheelchairs or with impaired mobility.
Please inform us of any food intolerance or allergy in advance.
This tour is not recommended for those with blood pressure and heart problems as well as asthma sufferers.
Provided that we will do our best to proceed with the tours, avoiding the rain and thus possibly carrying out the tour with our vehicle until and if the rain should stop and road conditions will guarantee a safe tour.
If it does not stop raining, the entire tour will be conducted in the safety and comfort of the vehicle.
Since we are aware that the experience running today, might not be the one you had wished for, we are hereby giving you the following choices, to be communicated to our Staff DURING THE CHECK-IN PROCEDURE:
1) Proceed with the tour hoping for clearing weather – PARTIAL activities or NO activities due to heavy RAIN
Customers can decide to proceed with the tour hoping for clearing weather with the understanding that It will NOT be granted any refund or discount. We will do our best to accommodate you, weather permitting.
2) Reschedule the tour for another day, subject to availability. Please contact our Booking office in order to ask for availability and rescheduling the experience.
If no suitable date / time is available for the reschedule, you will be able to choose any other experience available, upon availability, with an equal or less value, or eventually an experience with a higher value, paying only the difference.
3) A credit, called Rain Check, (of the same amount clients paid) to be used the following days or at any other time, subject to availability. The Rain check is a voucher given to the client. The voucher is transferable and may be sold or given to others to use at a future date and lasts up to 1 year from date. It has a value that can be possibly used in any other tour provided by our company.
Please note that clients' safety and comfort are of utmost priority, and proper rain gear is mandatory for guests choosing to "ride in the rain".
We ask clients to be at the meeting point 15 minutes before the tour departure, to check the weather conditions and choose accordingly. No-shows will not be refunded.